Ko te hītawetawe ki uta, ko te kāroaroa ki tai
Ko tūkawikawi o Tūkaiākiko
Tū rangatahi, tū rangatira!
With the height of the mountains and the turbulent oceans (natural environment)
We will challenge our youth (physically and emotionally)
To grow and to stand for others!!!
How it all started
180 Degrees Trust is a charitable Trust established in 2007 and managed by a Board of Trustees who are passionate about improving outcomes for the disadvantaged youth of Canterbury.
To make a difference in the lives of young people who are struggling in education, constantly making poor decisions, exhibiting anti-social behaviour, dependent on alcohol or drugs, and lacking in motivation. By building meaningful relationships with these young people and using the high country to provide challenges, we initiate a "turn around" in their lives.
How we achieve this
The two services we deliver both utilise the natural environment to challenge at risk youth. We operate an Alternative Education course in Sydenham which currently educates 18 students and provides individualized learning programmes. We also run three programmes under Ministry of Social Development funding for young people between 13 and 17 years old which provide weekly 1 on 1 mentoring and many adventures into the outdoors throughout the year.
Find out more about our Youth Services programmes →
- To facilitate personal development through education, training and employment opportunities for youths of appropriate age and disposition
- Empower youth to make better decisions
- To maximise positive change in our young peoples’ lives
- Working with families of participants to break cycles of dysfunction
- To empower youth to learn to take responsibility for their actions
- To equip youth to obtain a greater sense of self-awareness, and self-confidence
- To offer committed, professional services, which challenge males and females emotionally, academically, and physically